MY HOME: svn+ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org/home/kde/branches/work/soc_ksm
- Get code up and working
- Got 3.5.3 stable tarball and created soc_ksm branch
- Fix bugs in current sessions implementation
- WM now handled specially, code reorganized to fix State model
- Auto-save sessions and recover from crashes
- Sessions autosave every 20 minutes, after a crash you get to choose what session to start. Sessions keep track of when they were last saved.
- (20060707) Create data structures to keep track of an AppGroup for each client application
- (20060707) Create DCOP calls to open or close all apps in an AppGroup (while KDE is running)
- (20060708) Create DCOP call to list all AppGroups (for integration)
- NOTIME Think about how to save thumbnails or other useful metadata to AppGroups/sessions
- maybe time spent using apps in AppGroup (int with karm), date last used, …
- (20060710) Test several application that are open in different AppGroups at the same time and open and close them to make sure they work. Hopefully, it will magically work.
- (20060714) Create DCOP calls to associate/disassociate apps with AppGroups. I'm not yet sure how to itentify apps, from inside and out ksmserver.
- (20060718) Create a better GUI to choose a session on startup and tie into the kcontrol module to decide whether to show the dialog.
- (20060720) Create a GUI to create/start/stop AppGroups and to associate/disassociate apps to groups. It would be nice to drag and drop apps to AppGroups.
- (20060722) Release AppGroups feature into the wild! Handle (immense) feedback. Start making contacts for the next step.
There is no specific schedule yet for the remaining tasks.
- Early August - think of other application to integrate session support with like:
- workspace switche
- task manager
- window list
- Mid August—port to KDE4 TRUNK and merge with other change made from 3.5.3 to TRUNK.
- 20060820 - Project deadline to finish
- Late August - more porting, and headaches involved with that. And bonus tasks
- Remove ellipsis if logout is not confirmed
- look in code for // at the beginning of the line
- able to start no wm
- TODO: turn the feedback widget into a list of apps to be closed
- move some ksm functionality into kinit??
- edit the README: shutdown phases, talk little about XSMP
How to run it
xhost + su kde4 Xnest :1& sleep 5; DISPLAY=:1 xterm xterm: startkde
[Seli] I suppose you'll need that for saving session snapshots that won't be followed by a logout
[fulld] oh, apps don't support that yet?
[Seli] but I think you won't need to do that right from the start … simply fix what shows up when it shows up
[Seli] you shouldn't spend the whole time just fixing bugs
[Seli] but there are two parts, saving and shutdown
[Seli] and many apps don't see a difference between the two
[Seli] so they do shutdown already while saving
Discuss and share this topic anywhere. May we recommend:
- There is no official Twitter thread yet. Hit me up and I will make one.
- Please let me know any other good media coverage I should link here.
- Talk with me live every Tuesday 6pm (New York) at Community Service Hour.